Monday, February 8, 2010

The Entitlement That Is Civilization

I just finished reading Derrick Jensen's Endgame Vol 1 and 2. I have never read so much so fast. Civilization is killing us. I have followed the peak oil crowd for sometime now but this is beyond the scope of the looming oil fiasco. Jensen has called out the big boy in charge. He accuses civilization of murder. Much like Tim Wise's book White Like Me blew my mind about privilege Jensen's book did the same for me when it comes to civilization itself. Abuse is rampant and the denial is deep. Do we act or do we hope peak oil will take care of it for us? The entitlement humans have is obvious but somehow we have a veil that blinds us to it. There is no doubt the planet is in peril and DJ wants action from us. This action is dangerous and necessary but the risks keep most of us from acting. I love the twenty premises he uses to challenge the fence sitters. Hope is not working and pacifism is it's ugly brother.

1 comment:

Guy R. McPherson said...

As I stated here, Endgame is a hugely important book. For readers who don't think they have time for the full 900 pages, the premises are well worth the few minutes of your time. There are many things each of us can do to help bring this omnicidal civilization to a close. My ten-step plan is an easily digestible start with which I think Jensen would agree.